Sunday, June 21, 2009

Solstice

Today is the summer solstice, the day when sunlight stubbornly sticks around, refusing to leave. Its counterpart, the winter solstice in late December, is historically linked quite strongly to Christianity, as the celebration of the birth of the Son of God – the Light of the world – ushers in a season of increasing sunlight. Christmas literally comes in the darkest days of the year, and its promises of salvation are accompanied by longer days. In some way, I figure, the summer solstice is the culmination of that promise, the day when we are supposed to have realized the full potential of Christmas’s gift

Today is also Fathers’ Day, a day when we remember the love of our fathers, the gifts they have given us, and the sacrifices they have made. I spent today volunteering at my church’s summer camp, helping to prepare meals and do odd jobs. I spoke to my father from the camp – he was proud of me.

I was feeling good and happy when I drove home. But as I was nearing my apartment, a homeless man at an intersection caught my attention. I guess I’ve grown used to the homeless of this city – some of whom I know by name – but I still find that I am often unprepared to look at them. This gentleman was younger – in his late 30s, maybe – and he looked disturbingly numb, like he was ashamed though not yet scared of his situation. He held a sign with messy writing that read “homeless please help a vet.” I didn’t have a dollar on me. I looked at him through the glass, mouthed “I’m sorry,” to which he subtly nodded in acknowledgement, the corners of his mouth trying to make a smile. My eyes caught a small bag of chips I had in my car – I was too embarrassed to give it to him.

And so on this day, the Solstice, the reality is plan. There is good work being done, lots of it, and the rays of the sun make that visible for all to see. But those same rays point to the work, the seemingly endless work, that still needs to be done. And so I give thanks for the opportunities to do that work, and ask for strength and courage to accomplish it.

Happy Fathers’ Day!

No comments: