Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ready to burn

Just got back from a wonderful long weekend at my parents’ home in Maine. And while there was more than the usual amount of clouds and rain, there was enough sunshine to fully appreciate the awesomeness of the ocean: its expansive power, it’s mystical beauty, its endless bounty. There was a moment, in the boat, cruising home one evening on the sparkling water with the golden trees lining the banks that I thought to myself…this is good. I could do this.

Air travel is a funny thing. The flight from Maine to Philly is just over an hour. My suitcase was waiting for me on the baggage carrousel, and within minutes of touching down I was waiting for my ride. On one side of me a train buzzed by, while on the other buses and taxis lined up. I crossed the busy street, peering down the lane of speeding cars to spy my ride…in such a short time, it seemed, I had come so far.

Just over a year ago I graduated medical school and began internship. Just over a year ago I was new at this game – expectations were fairly low, to be honest, and a watchful eye was never far away. And now I sit on the brink of year two. Expectations are now fairly high, and to be honest I am a bit nervous. I begin at the burn center. In bed one is a nine-year-old boy who has already undergone multiple surgeries. In just one short year, I feel, I have come so far.

And what is there to do but push onward. With the taste of lobsters still fresh in my mind, I’m ready for anything.

No comments: